Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What's in a name?

I am not sure if this is like a “grand-unveiling” or not.  But many have asked for months what we were going to name LeWei when we get home.  After months of just looking at each other when people asked (like we had never thought of it), we are finally announcing that we feel like we have been given her name, after many months of praying and seeking.  Fu LeWei’s official English name will be:
Mary Beth LeWei McKnight
We are so excited to let everyone know this!  But we are more excited to let everyone know where her name comes from. 

First of all, I have claimed for many years that Jenn has the famous “red phone” in her communication with our Father.  You know, like the one you see in movies where someone has direct access to the President of the US?  That is what her relationship is like with her Father.  When she goes to Him to ask, speak and listen to Him, she has such a close relationship with Him that she knows that He is speaking to her.  It is really cool…..and something I seek.  After learning from her, I can now sense that it is possible for all of His children to have that “red phone” communication with Him as well…..and it is really cool to know that He has spoken and answered.  (BTW – If you know Jenn at all, you should also realize that she did NOT actually approve of me putting this part in the blog – just because that is the way she is.  But I feel it is important to know who she is and who she listens to in order to better understand this post better.  She is a really neat person and an inspiration to me.  J)

Back to the name….  Jenn has always loved the name of Mary, and she felt that our Father told her 10 years ago to name one of our children this name.  Luke was the next child born – probably not a good idea for him though…..  When Lauren was born, we did not feel the call to name her Mary.  We are pleased that He is patient with us and is providing another opportunity for obedience.  So about 2+ years ago, she started praying for what our daughter’s name would be when we would actually get to bring her home.  (That seemed like it would be eternity at that time.)  It was then that she was led back to name our adopted daughter the name of Mary that she admired so much (and is so much like Jenn, if you ask me).

When Jenn shared the name with me, I immediately thought of Mary, the mother of Jesus…..as most people would.  What a great person to be named after!  However, it was Mary of Bethany, that  is the sister of Lazarus and Martha, that she was led to name our daughter after.  There are three key passages in scripture that speak of her devotion to her Savior. 

The first mention of Mary (in reference to Jesus’ ministry) is in Luke 10:38-42.  Jesus had come to visit Mary and Martha.  While Martha was playing the role of the ultimate hospitality worker, running around making sure that everything was in its proper place.  She was offended that her sister, Mary, sat at Jesus’ feet while she worked so hard.  After complaining about it to Jesus, he gently reminds Martha that “Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken from her.”  What message does this give to us, when we are in the midst of planning things for ourselves or for others?  Our best option is to be like Mary of Bethany and sit at our Savior’s fee to listen and wait for Him. 

The second reference is mentioned in John 11:1-44 when Mary’s brother, Lazarus, died.  Lazarus has been sick for a few days, but Jesus did not come to him to heal him quickly.  Actually he waited until Lazarus had been dead 4 days before going to this place.  As Jesus approached their home to be with them, Martha got up quickly to meet Him, while Mary stayed in the home.  I am not a scholar enough to know why she did not meet Him on His way.  However, it is neat to know that Jesus asked for Mary…..no one else.  So when He asked for her, she immediately responded.  Is that how He wants us to approach Him, with the faith to know that He is there, He is coming, and He will answer?  Just like in the passage in Luke, she sat and waited for Him until He called to her. 

The last reference is mentioned in Matthew 26:6-13, Mark14:3-9 and John 12:1-11.  Just before the Passover (the Last Supper), Jesus went to Bethany, possibly in Mary’s home, to have a dinner in His honor.  It was that that time that Mary broke open a very expensive (one year’s wages) pint of pure nard over the feet of Jesus.  Then she proceeded to wash His feet with her hair and the nard.  Jesus explained to the indignant disciples that she understood His mission, and that she was preparing His body for burial. Matthew 26:13 is so cool when Jesus announces that
“wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”
The message of Christ will be understood as Mary understood her Savior, and she will always be remembered for it.

That is a little explanation of Jenn believing that she was told our daughter’s name would be named after Mary of Bethany.  How could one argue with that?  Do I think I could come up with a better name or reason for a different name than that?  NO WAY!!!  Signed, sealed and delivered!  J

Over time we have been confirmed that this was going to be her name, with two of the last confirmations coming in the same week in early August.

I was leaving the CCU of St. Thomas one Monday night, after visiting with a dear friend and her husband who was in the CCU.  I was driving home and needed to listen to something  that was calming and a prayer to my Father, to intercede for my friend.  I pushed the button on my iPod to a song that I had never chosen before to listen to……but it was the song that  I needed, the song that confirmed who Mary of Bethany was in her heart…..and a prayer we need to realize daily.  Gateway Worship and Kari Jobe had recorded a song a few years ago called “The More I Seek You” that was a testament of Mary’s heart for her Savior.  The opening lyrics grabbed me, and they still grab me every time I listen to it:


“The more I seek you…….The more I find you.
The more I find you……The more I love you.
I want to sit at your feet.
Drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breathe…..feel your heartbeat.
This love is so deep.  It’s more than I can stand.
I melt in your peace, it’s overwhelming.”

The moment I heard this verse, I felt my Father tell me that this is what our daughter’s name would be.  When I read the passages of Mary, and I hear this song, I feel this is what is going through her heart as she sat at Jesus’ feet, as she adored Him at His feet, and as she fell as His feet when she pleaded for her brother’s life.  She knew why her Savior came to earth.  We now have the opportunity for our little girl  to live with this hope that she may never had where she is now.  Our Father can do what He wants, with whomever He chooses.  We get to bring her into a home that will prayerfully give her the chance to live as Mary did – loving her Savior for who He was – a servant, a king, and our Savior!!  PTL!!!  We welcome His presence into our home as we bring her home.

The last confirmation was neat, and it sealed the deal for us.  Two days after I told Jenn about this song, she was introduced to a parent at school who was very interested in our adoption.  This sweet mother and her husband have adopted beautiful little girls from China and have fought for the plight of orphans across the world for years.  As Jenn showed her a picture of LeWei, she immediately said she thought her name should be Mary.  Then she said that actually Mary Beth would be better.  I would have loved to see the look on Jenn’s face as this mother said those words.  I know her mouth fell open when she said it.  I do not even think she was able to tell her that this was really her name.  The mother’s name is Mary Beth herself.  (And we firmly do NOT believe in circumstances! J)  So we look forward to sharing with this dear mother that this will actually be her name, and she played a hand in it.

We know that Mary Beth LeWei McKnight has a lot of letters in it.  But when Jenn married me, she actually has one more letter in her name than Mary Beth’s.  Even with the long name though, I do not believe there is any arguing with this name.  It will be her name, and we pray that she will receive it well when we meet her.  (This will be her 3rd name in one year.)

Thanks for letting me share this long testimony, as I was looking forward to writing it.

May His message reach others as we seek Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment