Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week 2 Recap (11/7/2010)

This past week was another one of reflection and baby steps. 
The preschool at CPA agreed to let Mary Beth and I visit on Monday, so we could get our feet wet in the class that Mary Beth would eventually be placed.  It was obvious that as we walked into class that she was not comfortable around all these new children.  She cried a little and whimpered some as she sat in my lap while I talked with the directors and teachers.  But after three hours of being there and seeing me interact with the other students, she warmed up a little and started to wander off and play with others in the class – but keeping me in the corner of her eye.  At the end of the three hours, one of the sweet directors gave me the go ahead to start her on Wednesday, and she would take on any extra of the class as the teachers did what was required to console her until she felt comfortable.  We wanted to get her started, but that blew us away.  At that point we were not ready for that big step.  But we started praying for guidance. 
Late that next day, we were unsure of what to do.  She cried at my mother’s as I left her earlier in the day.  But when I arrived at their house later that evening to pick her up, my dad had gotten home from work and took her from my mom – after she had cried hard for us since 3:00 that afternoon.  I guess that was confirmation enough that it might be too soon to start her in school.  But that left me bringing me to Murfreesboro every day and relying on our parents to keep her each day.  The love doing so and would not have it any other way.  But they did not sign up for this, as this was our endeavor, and we needed to figure something out. 
Fortunately, each day got better when I left her at the grandparents’ houses, and on Friday, she left me with a kiss, a “good bye, I love you!”  and took off to play with GG.  Praise the Lord!  Finally, she prayerfully understood the conversations we were having in our daily journey – that daddy will come back to pick you up, and there is no need to cry.  She seems to be pretty bright, and I hope that this is sinking into her. 
My new cousin ,Caroline and my awesome big sister!
Watch out Yao Ming!!
Katie and Charles join the Garvin-McKnight photo
She did cry for about 30 minutes when we left for the Show Hope dinner last night.  But I called on Devin to “pony-up” and get her back to a happy state as soon as he could.  Admirably, he stepped up and took on the not-so-fun responsibility and settled her down as soon as he could.  We were very proud of him!  This gives us an idea that he can take on responsibility like this going forward…..and we will require much of him.  (Poor guy did not know what he was stepping into……)
Tomorrow, I will again approach preschool (aka Mary Beth’s and daddy’s school since I was there with her last week….) and rely on the teacher’s call of when I can leave.  If I stay the entire time, that is fine, and I will let her see me interact with all the other students to let her know that I was ok with everything.  We will see how it goes.  If all goes well, we might start her before Thanksgiving break.  Pray!!!
Devin is doing well, as he continues to realize that middle school is a little different, and he better step it up a little in order to stay caught up.  He is on the 6th grade basketball team, which means that tomorrow he starts practice at 0600 in the morning on Monday, Wednesday and Friday’s….  Yuck….  But I guess that is better than staying late at night and that is one less child to get ready for school during normal days as everyone is scurrying out the door.
Luke is a champ as always.  I love to see his heart for others grow.  We are preparing for our first season of indoor soccer this season, and he is excited to do something different.
Lauren is a fighter.  That is all there is to it.  She continues to show love and affection to Mary Beth, only to be met with resistance so many times.  It frustrates her, as it would anyone that waited for this “present” for so long.  But she continues to not give up – despite my warnings to her, as I do not want her to be hurt.  We do not know why there is resistance to Lauren, when she shows love to so many others.  It has to be something in her past that we need to uncover.  But we also must know that it will take time and more love to unravel what is going on inside her towards a sister.  It can be done.
I love it when daddy lets me cook breakfast!

Jenn?  Well she is in her normal late-night position of sitting on the floor amidst piles and piles of papers to grade.  We are doing what we can to keep the house, meals and everything in order as much as possible.  But everyone knows that we cannot do what mom’s can do with their eyes closed.  (So hopefully she will keep her eyes closed to see what we are NOT getting done around here!!)  She is a rock and the one that keeps us moving forward.  I am blessed!!
Starting a new week in amazement that He wants us in this journey with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment